Dean - Enrico Pontelli

Associate Dean (Research) - James Murphy

Associate Dean (Academics) - Joseph Lakey

Executive Administrative Assistant - Sheri Pettit

Business Manager - Lucille Casas

Academic Operations Support Officer - Ashley Jurado

Associate Director, Research Center - Lorenza Sanchez

Undergraduate programs offered in the College of Arts and Sciences prepare students for a variety of career opportunities and for graduate study. The broad curriculum offered provides both the motivation and the tools for lifelong learning experiences.

While the ultimate responsibility for planning an academic program in compliance with university, college and departmental requirements rests with the student, the college recognizes the importance of helping students work out appropriate academic programs.

Students should consult the "Academic Regulations" section of the catalog regarding general limitations for total credit hours, independent study and registration under S/U option. Students in the College of Arts and Sciences on Academic Probation 1 are limited to 13 credit hours, and students on Probation 2 are limited to 7 credit hours. The Regulations section of the catalog discusses registration, drop/add and withdrawal deadlines. Students may not do additional course work or repeat course exercises after the semester has ended in order to raise a grade in any course. Exceptions will be made for students completing an official Incomplete grade.

College Undergraduate Degree Requirements

  1. In accordance with NMSU policy, students in all majors in the College of Arts and Sciences must meet the Basic Academic Skills requirements in English and Mathematics prior to enrolling in upper division courses numbered 300 or higher. See "Basic Academic Skills" in the General Information, Regulations section.
    Basic Academic Skills rules:
    1. Students must complete, with a C- grade or better, MATH 1134 Fundamentals of Elementary Mathematics I and MATH 2134G Fundamentals of Elementary Math II, or any mathematics course numbered 120 or above which includes MATH 1350G Introduction to Statistics and MATH 2350G Statistical Methods. Please see department requirements for each major for specific mathematics requirements.
    2. Students must complete, with a C - grade or better, ENGL 1110G Composition I, ENGL 1110H Composition I Honors, or ENGL 1110M Composition I Multilingual .
      NOTE: Transfer students must complete an English course listed above and begin their Math sequence no later than their second semester at NMSU in order to continue enrolling in upper division courses numbered 300 level or higher.
    3. Students whose ACT or other test scores require them to take developmental Mathematics or English courses must complete those courses prior to enrolling in the English and Mathematics basic skills courses listed above.
  2. University graduation requirements. See “Graduation Requirements” in the “General Information” section in this catalog. In order to graduate, students must have met all degree requirements for their major, earned a minimum of 120 university level credits, or more if required for the degree, of which at least 48 must be upper division (except for the Bachelor of Applied Studies, which requires 36 upper division credits) and must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all courses taken at NMSU. Each student must complete at least 30 of the necessary credits for their Bachelor Degree at NMSU. A minimum of "C-" in all courses counting toward the major, supplemental major and minor is required of all students.

S/U Grading Option for Undergraduate Students

Instructors may establish individual standards for an S grade, but the minimum standard for an S grade in the College of Arts and Sciences courses is a C-.

Developmental and Applied Credit Limitations for Undergraduate Students

The College of Arts and Sciences will accept all applied coursework, which includes Occupational Education courses, BOT, FDMA, FYEX (not including FYEX 1112 The Freshman Year Experience and UNIV 350 Peer Education), ARTS/ARTH (applied), DANC (applied), MUSC (applied and participation), THTA (applied), NURS, A EN, AXED, AEEC, AGHE, CCDL, CCDS, all lower-division RDG. These courses count towards overall credit hours to bring the students total to the minimum credit hours required. Students must still complete all university requirements: GEN ED; VWW; the required number of upper division credits, as well as all requirements for their declared major degree.

Credits earned in developmental courses (N suffix) are not counted toward any arts and sciences degree. Students should contact the Student Records Center regarding the acceptability of specific courses.

Independent Study/Directed Reading Courses for Undergraduate Students

Students are limited to six credits in any independent study course. Independent study courses include directed reading and special topic courses, which do not carry a subtitle.

Distance Education Courses

The College of Arts and Sciences offers a variety of distance education/online courses each semester. Specific courses can be found under departmental course listings online. Students who successfully complete NMSU distance education courses receive the same credit as students who take an equivalent course on the Las Cruces campus. Distance education courses appear on a student’s transcript in the same way a course taken on the Las Cruces campus does. Students will be charged a Course Delivery Fee for taking online courses.

Majors, Minors and Supplementary Majors for Undergraduate Students

Students who wish to obtain a bachelor’s degree must select a major field or fields. For a listing of majors, the student should refer to the list of majors in this catalog. Course requirements for majors are listed under individual departments. Students should consult the department for current admissions requirements. Until a major is selected, the student is designated as undeclared.

Each major consists of not less than 20 credits of upper-division courses (300 and above) in a specific field. Students must earn a grade of C- or better for all course requirements indicated for each major, minor, or supplementary major, including any courses required from outside the department. Students may not count an S grade towards completion of any major, minor or supplementary major requirement unless a course is automatically S/U for all enrolled students. A student may not earn a minor that bears the same name as a bachelor’s degree that the student is earning. (For example, a student earning a B.S. in Biology cannot also earn a minor in Biology.) Some departments also require specific courses outside the major field. Please refer to the departmental section of the catalog for specific nondepartmental requirements. These nondepartmental requirements must be passed with a grade of C- or better. It is imperative that students consult the departmental sections of this catalog and the department(s) for advice in planning to fulfill requirements for their declared majors. The requirements for academic minors in the College of Arts and Sciences are found under each offering department or program section of this catalog.

Supplementary Majors

Requirements for supplementary majors are found as follows:

Most students have considerable latitude in choosing elective courses. These are the courses beyond university and major requirements that a student must take to bring her or his total credits to the  minimum overall credits required for the degree. This latitude provides students with opportunities to major in more than one field, to take a minor or to devise interdisciplinary programs tailored to individual interests or future career needs.

Regardless of the option elected, students should consult regularly with an advisor and track their progress towards  degree completion and graduation using the online degree audit system STAR (Student Academic Requirements), at:

Preprofessional Studies

NMSU offers a number of programs designed for transfer to professional schools through its undergraduate colleges. The programs that are administered by the College of Arts and Sciences are:

  • Prehealth Studies in the Department of Biology (via the Center for Academic Advising and Student Support (CAASS)
  • Prelaw Studies in the Department of Government (is also administered by the College of Business) Law schools will accept undergraduates who have earned bachelor’s degrees in any major. Many prelaw students take some law courses in their undergraduate program. The College of Arts and Sciences supervises a Supplementary Major in Law and Society, which includes courses from a number of departments and several colleges. It is described under “Government” in the Arts and Sciences chapter. The College of Business offers a number of Business Law courses which can be found under the prefix BLAW in the course description chapter later in this catalog. The Department of Philosophy in the College of Arts and Sciences offers both a major and a minor in Justice, Political Philosophy, and Law that cultivates a reasoned understanding of law and legal institutions, as well as the moral theories that support the value and justice of these institutions. The description of this major is found under the description "Philosophy."

Bachelors Degrees

Bachelor of Applied Studies

Bachelor of Arts

Majors in:

Bachelor of Creative Media

Majors in:

Bachelor of Criminal Justice

Bachelor of Fine Arts

Major in:

  • Art
    • Museum Conservation
    • Studio Art (Emphasis)

Bachelor of Individualized Studies

Bachelor of Music

Major in:

Bachelor of Music Education

Major in:

Bachelor of Science

Majors in:

Dual Degrees

Bachelor of Science/Master of Science in Computer Science

Masters Degrees

Master of Applied Geography

Master of Arts

Majors in:

Master of Computational Data Analytics

Master of Criminal Justice

Master of Fine Arts

Major in:

  • Art
    • Studio Art (Emphasis)

Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing

Master of Music

Major in:

  • Music
    • Conducting (Area of Study)
    • Music Education (Area of Study)
    • Performance (Area of Study)

Master of Public Administration

Master of Science

Majors in:

Dual Degrees

Master of Public Administration/Master of Arts in Public History

Master of Public Administration/Master of Criminal Justice

Doctoral Degrees

Doctor of Philosophy

  • In the College of Arts and Sciences, the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry is accredited by the American Chemical Society.
  • The Bachelor of Science in Computer Science is accredited by ABET.
  • Music curricula in the Department of Music are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.
  • The Master of Public Administration program in the Department of Government is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration.