Academic Advising and Registration

Academic advising at DACC is an ongoing, shared partnership between a student and an advisor that focuses on assisting the student to identify, plan and achieve academic goals aligned with their career and life aspirations. It is a part of the educational process that aims to assist students to become active and effective agents of their own learning.

In the academic advising process, students and advisors work together to:

  • Develop an awareness of values, interests, abilities, skills and potential
  • Identify academic and career goals and options
  • Choose an academic program
  • Strategically plan out steps toward graduation, or the completion of an academic goal
  • Identify effective academic study skills and habits
  • Learn how to solve problems that impede progress toward an academic goal
  • Identify appropriate campus resources
  • Learn how to use the account and STAR Degree Audit
  • Select courses
  • Register for classes

Targeted student-learning outcomes underlying the DACC academic advising process include critical thought, self-appraisal, decision making, healthy independence, responsibility, and respect for self and others. These outcomes are the ideal product of quality academic advising.

Structure of DACC Academic Advising

Students declared into a specific major or academic program are advised by a specific professional academic advisor and/or a DACC faculty advisor in that academic program. Students may identify their DACC academic advisor by going to or contacting the Academic Advising Center, DASR 103, (575) 528-7272.

Students who are exploring majors or who are in transition between programs, are advised through the Academic Advising Center, which serves as a central resource for exploratory (undecided) students and non-degree-seeking students.

When to Seek Academic Advising

NEW STUDENTS will meet with an academic advisor and register for classes after completing a new student orientation.

TRANSFER AND READMITTED STUDENTS are advised to make an appointment with their academic advisor once their DACC admission is complete.

CONTINUING STUDENTS are advised to plan ahead and meet with their academic advisor every semester, well in advance of continuing-student registration.

Special Requirements for DACC Pre-Health Majors

All students declared into the following DACC Pre-Health majors:

  • Pre-Dental Assistant
  • Pre-Dental Hygiene
  • Pre-Diagnostic Medical Sonography
  • Pre-Nursing
  • Pre-Radiologic Technology
  • Pre-Respiratory Therapy

are required to identify and declare a second major (associate degree or certificate) in any DACC non-selective program. See the Academic Advising Center for details. Additionally, all DACC pre-health majors with a college cumulative GPA of less than 3.0 will be required to be academically advised prior to course registration each semester.

Registering for Classes

After a student is advised, they have the option to register for classes either online or in person.

REGISTERING ONLINE. After being admitted and meeting with an academic advisor, eligible students may register for classes on the Web at

Students need to log in with their NMSU email and passphrase to access web registration. In the event that a student forgets their passphrase, the system will allow the student to reset it online. If attempts to do so fail, the student must consult with the ICT Student Help Desk in NMSU Hardman Jacobs Undergraduate Learning Center, room 105, (575) 646-4433.

The web registration system will not accept requests for the S/U grading option unless the course is offered exclusively on an S/U basis. Likewise, the system will not accept requests for the “Audit” grading option. To request S/U or Audit grading for courses, students will need to consult with their academic advisor.

Upon completing online registration, students may view their complete semester schedule by accessing the Concise Student Schedule link within their account. Students may also ask for a print out of their schedule at the DACC Information Center on the East Mesa Campus (DASR 101H), at any other DACC location, or at the NMSU Student Records Office.

REGISTERING IN PERSON. Students must obtain a Change of Schedule Form online at, then complete and submit the form to the DACC Information Center in DASR 101H on the East Mesa Campus, or to the NMSU Student Records Office, or to a registration office at any other DACC location. In some cases, the student must obtain the instructor's signature on the Change of Schedule Form before submitting it to the Information Center. Once registered, students should obtain a copy of their class schedule, which is available at the DACC Information Center or at any other location where students register.

REGISTERING FOR COURSES ON OTHER NMSU CAMPUSES. Students may register for courses at another campus in the NMSU system if the course is not offered at their home campus, or if the course is full at DACC.

Terms and Conditions of Course Registration

Students must complete registration for all courses prior to the first day of class to avoid incurring late fees. Students who subsequently decide not to attend, and have not officially withdrawn from DACC / NMSU, will earn failing grades while remaining financially liable.

When students have a previous balance, their courses for the current term may be canceled if they have not made the appropriate arrangements to pay the debt owed. See for payment options and payment plan information.

Drop of Courses Due to Prerequisite Course Grade

Each semester when grades are reported, DACC proactively drops students out of future semester courses in which the student did not earn the minimum prerequisite grade in the prior semester. The student is notified of this drop through their NMSU email.

Academic Sanctions

Students placed on academic warning, probation, or suspension during the end-of-term grading process will be emailed a notification to their NMSU email. Students placed on academic suspension will have all courses in which they are registered for future semesters canceled, and applicable refunds will be made by the Business Office. For additional information on Academic Standing and Probation please refer to The NMSU System Academic Regulations - Academic Standing/Probation.

Adding, Dropping and Withdrawing from Courses

Registration changes may be processed only in accordance with university regulations and with appropriate signatures. If a student decides to stop attending a course, it is the responsibility of the student to initiate official drop or withdrawal from the course and to obtain all necessary signatures on the Change of Schedule Form. Failure to do so could result in failing grades.

Forms are available from academic advisors, at the DACC Information Centers, or on the NMSU Student Records Office website at Students may add, drop or withdraw according to the dates published online at, with the exception of petitions for retroactive withdrawals processed in accordance with Policy 6.92. If a student withdraws from a course after the last day to drop/cancel a course with a 100% refund, no refund in any amount will be issued.

ADDING A COURSE.  Students wishing to add a course to their current registration schedule should do so in consultation with their academic advisor. The deadline for adding courses during a given term is listed online at records.nmsu.eduIf the desired course is still open, the student may add it online through their account. If the course is closed, the student will need the instructor's permission and signatures on a Change of Schedule Form. Once the Change of Schedule Form has been completed and all necessary signatures have been obtained, the student may take the completed form to the Information Center for processing. The Information Center will provide the student with a revised class schedule, which the student should review immediately to ensure there are no inaccuracies. Any errors should be reported immediately.

DROPPING A COURSE. The process for dropping (also called cancelling) a course is similar to the process for adding a course. The deadline for dropping courses is published online at The student should consult with their academic advisor and drop the course by the deadline either online through their account, or with a Change of Schedule Form. Dropping/cancelling a course removes the course from the student transcript and issues a 100% refund for the course. 

WITHDRAWING FROM A COURSE. After the drop/cancellation period comes the withdrawal period. To withdraw from a single course, the student must consult with their academic advisor or complete a Change of Schedule Form and process it at the DACC Information Center or the NMSU Student Records Office. The deadline for withdrawing from a single course is published online at Withdrawing from a course produces a W grade on the transcript, and no refund is issued for the course. A student may not withdraw from courses after this deadline, unless the student requests a Full Withdrawal from DACC / NMSU.


  1. A student found to be insufficiently prepared for a particular course may be transferred to a more elementary course in the same subject area, provided that
    1. the instructor of the more elementary course has given his/her consent, and
    2. the transfer is completed before the last day to officially withdraw from an individual course. Commonly referred to as a “drop-back,” this type of transfer is usually, but not always, employed in cases of sequenced courses such as mathematics, English, or foreign languages.
  2. Financial aid or other third-party funding sources should be consulted when enrollment changes occur. Anyone attending under the Veterans Educational Assistance Program should notify the Veterans Office in DASR 111 on the East Mesa Campus or by email at when dropping or adding courses, as such changes could cause a reduction in the benefits received.

Full Withdrawal from DACC/NMSU

A Full Withdrawal from DACC or any other NMSU campuses terminates enrollment in all courses and effects a full withdrawal from the entire NMSU system. It is an official procedure requiring signed approvals as indicated on the withdrawal form. As such withdrawals will be noted on the student’s transcript. To process a full withdrawal from DACC/NMSU or for further information refer to the NMSU System Academic Regulations - Withdrawals section of this catalog.

Student Medical Withdrawal

A medical withdrawal applies to a student who becomes seriously ill, injured, or hospitalized and is therefore unable to complete an academic term for which he or she is enrolled. This action applies to all courses a student is registered for in the affected semester(s). The student cannot select which courses they want to withdraw from and which they want to remain registered for when exercising this option. For further information on how to process a student medical withdrawal please refer to the NMSU System Academic Regulations - Withdrawals section of this catalog.

Withdrawal Due to Medical Conditions of a Family Member

A student who must withdraw because of a medical condition of an immediate family member will need to submit a letter from the family member’s attending physician on official letterhead with an original signature, stating the date(s) within the semester that the student’s immediate family member was under medical care, and confirm that the student must withdraw to attend to the immediate family member’s medical condition. This action applies to all courses a student is registered for in the affected semester(s). The student cannot select which courses they want to withdraw from and which they want to remain registered for when exercising this option.This letter must be submitted within the semester or no later than one academic year after the end of that term for which the withdrawal is being requested.

For further information on how to process a withdrawal due to medical conditions of a Family Member please refer to the NMSU System Academic Regulations - Withdrawals section of this catalog.

Administrative Withdrawal

In the event that a student has stopped attending class without formally withdrawing, stopped using the online Learning Management System, or has a history of persistent unexcused absences or failures to complete assignments, the instructor reserves the right to remove the student from the class by means of an administrative withdrawal. For further information on an administrative withdrawal please refer to the NMSU System Academic Regulations - Withdrawals section of this catalog.

Military Withdrawal

Veteran students attending DACC who are called up for active duty and need to withdraw from all classes must contact the following offices:

  1. DACC VETERANS PROGRAM. Students will provide a copy of their orders to the DACC Veterans Program Office in DASR 111 on the East Mesa Campus (575) 528-7081, To assist in reporting accurate information to the VA Regional Office, students should also provide documentation stating the last day of class attendance.
  2. NMSU STUDENT RECORDS OFFICE. Students also will present their orders to the NMSU Student Records Office (575) 646-3411, They will receive a military withdrawal from classes and a full refund of tuition and fees for the semester in which they are called to active duty.
  3. BOOKSTORE. Students who still have their receipts for textbooks purchased during the semester in which they are called to active duty will be given a full refund for these textbook purchases when they present their orders.

For further information on a Military withdrawal please refer to the NMSU System Academic Regulations - Withdrawals section of this catalog.