The Associate degree in Social Work is designed to prepare students for careers in social service or community health agencies as paraprofessionals. In addition, because of the large New Mexico Common Core component, the degree also helps prepare the student for a successful transition into a bachelor’s program in Social Work or other majors.
The bachelor degree requirement for a second language requires a grade of C or better through the 1120 level in any second language. If the student is a native speaker or has taken one or two years of a second language in high school, see an advisor for information in fulfilling the requirement.
Students interested in the Las Cruces campus Bachelor Degree in Social Work program may also be interested in the Associate in Social Work. Students planning to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work must apply for the Social Work Program. Students (particularly transfer students) should contact the Social Work Advisor in Las Cruces for advising and for the application packets. Note: A 2.5 GPA is required for the Bachelor in Social Work degree.
Graduates of this program will:
- Use critical thinking, skeptical inquiry, and the scientific method to weigh evidence and solve problems related to the social and behavioral sciences.
- Apply the ethical and professional values that are the underpinnings of the social and behavioral sciences.
- Use technology to research, communicate, and engage in problem solving.
- Write and speak effectively in a professional environment where you will be expected to interact and successfully work with others.
- Articulate a basic understand of the social work profession, its history, career opportunities, and contemporary issues facing social workers in the United States today.
- Discuss the impact of cultural factors, diversity and dimensions of identity and environment as it relates to the field of social work.
- Describe the role of case management in generalist social work practice.
Career & Technology Division
New Mexico State University Alamogordo
2400 N. Scenic Drive
Alamogordo, NM 88310