Emergency Medical Services (EMS) professionals such as Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT) provide pre-hospital emergency care to individuals who experience a sudden illness, injury, or trauma. They work under protocols approved by a physician medical director to recognize, assess, and manage medical emergencies and transport critically ill or injured patients to acute health care facilities such as hospitals. They are employed by hospitals, ambulance services, fire departments, police departments, and other agencies that have a public safety component as their missions. The EMS curriculum (OEEM) follows national standards and the New Mexico Joint Organization of Education (JOE) requirements.
The Emergency Medical Technician - Intermediate degree prepares the student to transfer to a 4-year Bachelor of Science - Emergency Medical Service degree.
Emergency Medical Services Licensure: After successful completion of the EMT Basic course, students who are 18 years old are eligible to take the National Registry written examination and are eligible to apply for New Mexico State EMT-Basic Licensure..
Graduate of this program will:
- Describe the roles, responsibilities, and scope of practice of the Emergency Medical Technician – Intermediate as it relates to the health care system.
- Evaluate occupational exposures, environmental safety hazards, high-risk situations, and emergency responses related to health care professions.
- Apply anatomy and physiology principles to patient care across the lifespan in emergency situations.
- Demonstrate ability to gather and document patient information including history, patient assessment, and condition.
- Practice critical thinking, soft skills, and professionalism when communicating with and/or instructing patients or non-healthcare personnel on first aid procedures.
- Demonstrate collaborative communication and teamwork when working in emergency settings.
- Prepare a plan of care based on needs of patient; considering condition, patient history and assessment, and emergency procedures.
Career & Technology Division
New Mexico State University Alamogordo
2400 N. Scenic Drive
Alamogordo, NM 88310