The Associate of Arts Degree allows students to complete general education requirements for most bachelor degree programs. It represents the completion of the first two years of most bachelor degree programs in the College of Arts and Sciences at New Mexico State University. Among the degrees and programs that the Associate of Arts prepares the student for are: Anthropology, Communication Studies, English, Gender and Sexuality Studies, History, Languages, Math, Music, Philosophy, Psychology, Sociology, and Theater.
The degree provides students with a strong foundation in quantitative reasoning, oral and written communication, lab science, humanities and the arts, and the social and behavioral sciences. Two semesters of a second language are also highly recommended. With that strong foundation, students are well-prepared to transfer to a four-year college.
Graduates of this program will:
- Analyze data and arguments from multiple perspectives as part of critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrate ability to speak effectively in front of groups.
- Use appropriate technology for research, including basic laboratory equipment and including computers with current industry-standard productivity software such as the Microsoft Office Suite platform.
- Competently perform computations and communicate results in written and spoken forms.
- Articulate and apply the scientific method.
- Express an awareness of current ethical and diversity issues.
Arts and Science Division
New Mexico State University Alamogordo
2400 N. Scenic Drive
Alamogordo, NM 88310
Dr. David C. MacWilliams