BFIN 2110. Introduction to Finance
3 Credits (3)
Introduces tools and techniques of financial management. Includes time value of money; financial planning, diversification and risk; debt and equity investment decisions; and financial statement analysis.
- Explain the time value of money and its application in decision-making, including calculating present and future values of single payment and series of payments.
- Identify the major sources of external long-term financing for corporations.
- Explain risk-return tradeoff as it relates to diversification.
- Differentiate the role of finance from other related disciplines such as accounting and economics.
- Demonstrate knowledge of capital markets and securities (debt and equity).
- Describe basic types of financial ratios and their uses.
- Demonstrate the ability to prepare cash flows and make qualitative judgments on the relevance of the changes from one time frame to another.