A student may be accepted for undergraduate admission to NMSU as:

  1. Degree-seeking student or
  2. Nondegree student under the policies and conditions as set forth in this section.

Regular Admission Domestic Students

Requirements for admission as a regular student include the following:

  • An official transcript of the student’s high school credits is to be sent directly from the high school to the NMSU Grants Admissions Office. Students who attended a college or university while in high school must request to have official transcripts(s) forwarded directly to the NMSU Grants Admissions Office by the Registrar of each college or educational institution previously attended.

Qualifications for undergraduate admissions to NMSU are as follows:

  • Graduation from any state high school or academy in the United States accredited by a regional accrediting association or approved by a state department of education or state universities.

Home School Students

Students enrolled in a home school program may be accepted to NMSU if they meet the requirements for regular admission as previously stated. In addition, the home school educator must submit a signed transcript or document that lists the courses completed and grades earned by the student as well as indicate the date the student completed or graduated from the home school program. Home school students who are New Mexico residents and wish to participate in the Lottery Success Scholarship program are required to submit official New Mexico GED or HiSET test results in English.

Admission by GED OR HiSET

Any student that has successfully completed the GED or HiSET can be considered for admission upon satisfactory scores on the General Education Development (GED) test or HiSET.  If the high school transcripts or GED/HiSet test results do not provide adequate information for a final admission's decision, NMSU Grants may require the applicant to submit official results of the American College Testing (ACT) Program test battery.

Students must complete the GED and HiSET in English.

Early Admission

Currently enrolled high school students, home-schooled, or Adult Education of high quality academic ability may be admitted as non-degree students prior to earning a high school diploma or equivalency. Students are responsible for all tuition, fees, and books. Requirements include:

  • NMSU Application;
  • Written permission from the high school principal (or Adult Education Director), counselor, and parent/guardian;
  • Official home school/high school transcript;
  • College Placement Exam;
  • Interview with Vice President for Student Services who will verify admission and approve courses;
  • Limit to 7 credit hours

Minimum 16 years of age or equivalent of a high school student, with appropriate approval.

Readmission (Degree Seeking)

Former students of NMSU, or of one of its community colleges, who have been out of school for more than two consecutive terms are required to make a formal application for readmission. Applications should be submitted to NMSU Grants at least two weeks before the opening of the semester or summer session for which the student plans to enroll.

A student who has attended other institutions during an absence must have official transcripts forwarded directly to NMSU Grants by the Registrar of each institution and must be eligible to return to the college or university last attended. Transcripts must be received prior to the date of registration. Admission status at the time of readmission will normally be determined by previous NMSU academic standing. However, academic performance at other institutions attended during the applicant’s absence from NMSU may be taken into consideration in determining the student’s admission status.

Application Materials

All documents submitted as part of the admissions process become property of NMSU and will not be returned to the student. Application materials are retained for one calendar year for students who apply but do not attend.

Out-of-State Students and Legal Jurisdiction

By applying for admission/enrollment, both the student and parents agree that New Mexico law prevails and all litigation will be in federal or state court in New Mexico.

Dual Credit for High School Students

The Dual Credit Program is designed to give high school students an opportunity to enroll at NMSU prior to high school graduation. Under Senate Bill 158 signed by the Governor and effective July 1, 2014, support for dual credit privileges at post-secondary institutions is now available for private and home school-eligible students. Under a Statewide Dual Credit Master Agreement between NMSU and the school district, students enrolled in approved dual credit courses are eligible to have the full cost of tuition and general fees waived.

Dual credit students must:

  • Apply for Undergraduate Admission
  • Provide official high school transcript and
  • Complete the State of New Mexico Dual Credit Request Form

High school students who wish to take college courses at NMSU Grants must meet the following requirements:

  • Sophomores with a 3.75 or better GPA for academic courses; 2.5 GPA or higher for technical/vocational courses.
  • Juniors and Seniors with a 3.0 GPA or higher for academic courses; 2.0 GPA or higher for technical/vocational courses.

The course a student is allowed to take is based on their GPA, placement assessment results, and the courses authorized by their high school. For approved courses, students must visit with the Dual Credit college advisor or the Dual Credit Representative for their high school. 

Consult with NMSU Grants Student Services for more information and waivers

Dual Credit for Home School Students: Home school students who choose to participate in college courses must meet the same requirements mentioned above and will have their tuition and general fees waived by NMSU Grants. The student will be required to purchase the book and pay any course fee. These students will be required to provide the college with a graded transcript. This transcript must provide a graded (A-F) transcript showing courses, course levels, grade level, and grades signed by the home school program evaluator. Students must also meet the GPA requirements for each grade level.

Course Placement

Course Placement for Math, and English

At the time of registration, the academic skill level of all entering first-time students is evaluated using Accuplacer scores combined with High School GPA, and if available, the SAT/ACT scores. Advisors will assist students in determining the best sequence of courses to meet their academic goals. Placement methodology and scoring are subject to change, and scores are valid for one year.

Developmental Courses in Math - For students without MATH placement information, the Accuplacer exam is used to determine appropriate MATH course placement.  Based on the score received, students will be placed into the appropriate developmental Mathematics course before enrolling in a 1000 level Math course. Students must complete all prerequisite math courses, as listed in the catalog, or obtain an override with appropriate approvals.

Developmental Courses in English - For students without ENGL placement information, the Accuplacer exam is used to determine appropriate ENGL course placement.  Based on the score received, students will be placed into the appropriate developmental English course before enrolling in ENGL 1110G Composition I.

Aggie Pathways

Student applicants who do not meet NMSU Las Cruces admission requirements may apply to participate in the Aggie Pathway to the baccalaureate program at any of the NMSU community colleges located in Grants, Alamogordo & Dona Ana County. Aggie Pathway students may transition to the NMSU Las Cruces campus after successful completion of any required developmental education courses and 24 degree credits with a 2.5 cumulative college GPA. Each student will follow an individualized study plan developed in partnership with an academic advisor that typically includes study skills courses, developmental education courses, and/or general education courses.  For more information, go to, or call (575) 646-8011.

New Student Orientation

New Student Orientation allows students the opportunity to learn about NMSU Grants’ services, resources, academic expectations, strategies for success, and student organizations. New Student Orientation is mandatory for all new incoming Freshman or transfer students. Orientation is offered online or in-person on the NMSU Grants campus. The online New Student Orientation is available to students at any time with permission from Admissions. Students can learn more about in-person options by contacting Admissions at (505) 287-6678.

Nondegree Admission

Nondegree admission is designed to meet the needs of mature, part-time students who do not wish to pursue a degree at this university. Courses taken in this status may not be used to meet university admission requirements. Students interested in using nondegree credit for initial teacher certification or recertification in a new field need to contact the College of Education. Also students who wish to take a course without a graded credit may choose to audit courses with the consent of the instructor, provided the facilities are not required for regular students.

Students on nondegree status are ineligible to receive financial aid or student employment; nor are they eligible to participate in student government or intercollegiate athletics. They are also ineligible to receive benefits from any veterans’ program.

Transcripts from previous institutions, high school, and/or results of college entrance exams may be required to assure readiness for university-level courses.

Nondegree students are subject to the same university regulations as regular students.

Changing from Nondegree Status

A nondegree student in good academic standing at NMSU must submit a formal application for a change of status from nondegree to degree seeking. Requirements for regular admission must be met.

Contact Information

NMSU Grants Admissions Office
1500 Third St.
Grants, NM 87020
Phone: (505) 287-6678