Military and Veterans Programs (MVP)

New Mexico State University (NMSU) is a military and veteran friendly university which strives to provide the best possible service for our military, veteran, and their dependents as they pursue their educational goals. NMSU Military and Veterans Programs promotes lifelong learning and professional development by offering:

  • In-state tuition rates for active-duty military and their dependents stationed at regional military installations (including Ft. Bliss); or those eligible for U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) Tuition Assistance (TA) or U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) education benefits
  • Easily transferable military credits that count toward degrees at NMSU
  • Facilitation of MyCAA military spouse benefits and DoD TA
  • Advocacy from admission to graduation
  • Student Veteran Housing for student veterans and their families
  • Priority registration for military and veteran students
  • Aggie Green Zone Training, educating faculty and staff about our student veterans and the unique value they bring to campus
  • Salute Honor Society for student veterans
  • Connection with Student Veterans Organizations (SVO) of NMSU
  • Military, veteran, and dependent scholarships
  • Internship opportunities

NMSU degree programs are approved by the State Approving Agency Directory at the New Mexico Higher Education Department. Eligible students may receive education benefits from the U.S. Department of Defense or U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

For further information contact:

Military and Veterans Programs
MSC 4740, PO Box 30001
Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001
(575) 646-4524

MVP Student Computer Lab and Lounge

The MVP Computer Lab is available to military, veteran, and dependent students. The lab has six computers with several common access card (CAC) readers. The Computer Lab is open Monday through Friday from 8am-5pm. Enjoy a free cup of coffee while doing your homework and network with like-minded students. We offer free efax, copy, and printing services to further accommodate our students. The MVP Student Lounge is equipped with comfortable furniture, coffee station, a kitchen (microwave/refrigerator) area, and a place to study and relax between classes.



Active-duty military personnel (Armed Forces) stationed in New Mexico or at Fort Bliss, Texas may complete a "Resident Tuition Application for Active Military, Veterans and Dependents of the US Armed Forces" waiver to qualify for in-state tuition. Spouses and children of active-duty personnel who are stationed in New Mexico and Fort Bliss, Texas who are not otherwise entitled to claim in-state residency, may apply for in-state tuition by submitting a "Resident Tuition Application for Active Military, Veterans and Dependents of the US Armed Forces" waiver to the Military and Veterans Programs. Applications are available at the Military and Veterans Programs, online at, or through the University Student Records Office. Please contact MVP on the required documents needed to complete the waiver application.

Dependents Receiving VA Educational Benefits

Per NM 2015 HB 427:

A spouse or child of a veteran of the armed forces is entitled to pay tuition and fees at the rate provided for New Mexico residents; provided that the spouse or child is eligible for benefits pursuant to the federal Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 or any other federal law authorizing educational benefits for a veteran and the dependents of a veteran. Applications are available at the Military and Veterans Programs, online at, or through the Office of University Student Records. Please contact MVP on the required documents needed to complete the waiver application.


Veterans receiving U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits are eligible for in-state tuition through the Veterans In-State Tuition Act by submitting a "Resident Tuition Application for Active Military, Veterans and Dependents of the US Armed Forces" waiver. For further information concerning approved programs and application process, eligible persons should contact Military and Veterans Programs.

Veteran students enrolled under the following programs are responsible for their tuition and fees in the same manner as a nonveteran student:

  • Montgomery GI Bill®-Active Duty (CH 30)
  • Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (CH 35)
  • Montgomery GI Bill®-Selected Reserve (CH 1606)

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Allowing Veterans to Attend or Participate in Courses Pending VA Payment


Section 103 of Public Law (PL) 115-407, ‘Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018,’ amends Title 38 US Code 3679 by adding a new subsection (e) that requires disapproval of courses of education, beginning August 1, 2019, at any educational institution that does not have a policy in place that will allow an individual to attend or participate in a course of education, pending VA payment, providing the individual submits a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under Chapter 31 or 33.

Pending Payment Compliance

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679(e), New Mexico State University adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from VA.  New Mexico State University will not:

  • Prevent the student’s enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to the student;
  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny the student access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Produce the VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) by the first day of class;
  • Provide a written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies

 GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Responsibility of Students Receiving VA Education Benefits

Students must be pursuing a degree in a specific program to be eligible for VA education benefits. Students must submit their degree plans or Student Academic Requirements (STAR) Degree Audit Report and Concise Student Schedule to Military and Veterans Programs to be certified. For continued certification, students must submit their degree plans or STAR Degree Audit Report and Concise Student Schedule to MVP every semester they plan to use VA education benefits.

Students using VA Education Benefits must notify MVP when any of the following occur:

  • Dropping or adding course(s)
  • Withdrawing from course(s)
  • Withdrawing from the University
  • Discontinuing regular class attendance
  • Changing programs (academic majors/minors)

VA education benefits are payable for regular attendance in courses that are part of the student's program (major/minor) curriculum. VA education benefits are not payable for:

  • Classes not attended regularly
  • Repeating a course for which a passing grade meets degree requirements
  • Classes for which credit is received through successful completion of a proficiency test or grade by examination
  • Classes taken on an audit basis
  • Classes that are dropped or withdrawn from
  • Classes taken that are not part of the student's program (major/minor) curriculum

Tuition Assistance

Federal Tuition Assistance (TA) is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines and Navy. The Department of Defense (DoD) has given each service the ability to pay up to $250 per semester credit hour of the actual cost of tuition (no fees) during the fiscal year (Oct. 1 - Sept. 30). TA must be requested and approved prior to the start date of the course. Refer to your Service portal for specific TA deadlines and procedures. TA is paid directly to the school by the individual services.

Service members must first be admitted to NMSU before they may enroll in any classes at NMSU. Prior to applying, speak with your military service or Educational Services Officer to know your education options and make an informed decision. Please be aware of NMSU admission and registration process:

  1. Service members must apply online to be admitted,
  2. Login to to register for classes, and
  3. Request TA through their service online portal. Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, application process and restrictions. Refer to our website for service login information:

It is important to request TA for the same class and section number as enrolled in NMSU for tuition and grading purposes. Only enrollments requested and approved through their service online portal will be eligible for TA. Refer to our website for further information at or contact the Military and Veterans Programs for assistance.

State Tuition Assistance

New Mexico National Guard Tuition Scholarship Program (NMGTSP) also referred to as State Tuition Assistance (STA). The scholarship provides eligible members of the New Mexico National Guard an opportunity to complete a bachelor's degree or below. Air National Guard yearly cap is $8,000. Army National Guard yearly cap is $4,000. STA fiscal year is from July 1 – June 30. STA is paid directly to the school and is invoiced after the term’s Last Day to Drop a Course without a “W” (100% refund). Refer to our website for STA deadlines and procedures at or contact the Military Veterans Programs for assistance.

MyCAA Spouse Scholarship

The My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) Scholarship Program is a career development and employment assistance program. MyCAA helps military spouses, who have successfully completed high school, pursue licenses, credentials, or associate degrees with a specific concentration or major to pursue an occupation or career with transferable and portable skills. MyCAA provides a maximum education benefit of $4,000 with an annual fiscal year (Oct. 1 – Sept. 30) cap of $2,000 to assist eligible military spouses. Refer to our website for MyCAA eligibility and procedures at or contact Military and Veterans Programs for assistance.


Note: These regulations apply to all campuses of NMSU and are effective with the publication of this catalog. Tuition amounts, fees, and similar items subject to annual review and change are all effective with the current catalog.

Credit for Military Service

New Mexico State University will award academic credit to United States military personnel for courses and Military Occupational Specialties (MOS), based on the American Council of Education Guide (ACE) as well as through national standardized tests, such as CLEP, AP, PEP and DANTES. Credit for military-training is in accordance with NMSU Faculty Senate Legislation Proposition 24-07/08, which was passed in May 2008. Military Training and Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) must have a recommendation evaluation by ACE (in the ACE Guide) for credit to be awarded. Courses accepted for transfer credit become part of the student’s official NMSU transcript and academic record. If a student wishes to appeal a decision regarding the acceptance of military training/education and/or MOS for academic credit, the student must submit a written statement of appeal to the Dean of the College to which the student has applied. The Dean will review the merits of the appeal and render a decision. The decision of the Dean is final.

Only Primary MOS (s) are eligible for academic credit in the initial review and evaluation. Credit for Duty and/or Secondary MOS may be eligible for academic credit if the student petitions the college’s Associate Dean. Primary MOS is the primary specialty of a soldier and reflects the broadest and most in-depth scope of military experience. Veterans, active-duty personnel, National Guard and Reservists who are current students or students applying for admission to New Mexico State University may be granted academic credit on a case-by-case basis upon evaluation of military transcripts - the Joint Service Transcript ( and the Community College of the Air Force transcripts. Course equivalencies and credit hours awarded for a particular NMSU degree are determined by colleges and/or academic departments. Credit hours may be awarded for specific courses toward degree requirement, or as elective credit. The number of credit hours awarded will be determined by the college and/or academic department.

Note: Students submitting military transcripts for credit evaluation must keep in mind the Maximum Time Frame policy, see the Financial Aid Section for more information.

Graduate Student Status (Training Time)

VA education benefits are determined by the number of graduate credits of enrollment for a given semester or summer session. Listed below are the credit hours that determine student status (training time) for graduate students.

Fall and Spring semester: full-time enrollment includes 9 or more credit hours. Students are considered three-fourths time if they are enrolled in 7 to 8 credit hours. Half time enrollment is 5 - 6 credit hours. Students enrolled in less than 5 credit hours are reimbursed for tuition and allowable fees only.

There are several sessions within the summer term. For the 10-week summer session, full-time enrollment is 6 credit hours and half-time enrollment is 3 credit hours. During the five-week sessions, full-time enrollment is 4 credit hours and half-time enrollment is 2 credit hours.

Veterans’ Attendance and Satisfactory Progress

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs requires all veterans receiving VA education benefits to make satisfactory progress and systematic advancement toward an educational objective or be liable for over-payments. Satisfactory progress and regular class attendance are expected of such students.

If a veteran receiving benefits is suspended for academic reasons, benefits are terminated and will be restored only after readmission to NMSU.

If the university has liability claims filed against it as a result of a veteran failing to meet compliance requirements of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, the university will not release any academic records on the veteran until such time as the veteran has reimbursed the federal government for funds drawn in violation of those requirements.

A student receiving VA education benefits who is pursuing a degree program offered by New Mexico State University should adhere to the curriculum of that program. Failure to do so will result in the student being certified for less than full-time status or becoming liable for an overpayment.

Military Experience Waiver

Prior to graduating, during the student's junior and/or senior year, NMSU students are required to take two 3-credit Viewing a Wider World (VWW) upper-division (300-400 level) courses. These courses strongly emphasize the international character and multicultural influences in the fields of study and strengthen information retrieval skills. There are two options that NMSU allows for replacing one of the two courses (3 credits) of VWW requirement with another form of educational experience, these are: (Study Abroad Experience or Military Experience for students who have served at least four weeks of U.S. Military Foreign/ Sea Service in a foreign country.

Steps needed to request a Military Experience Waiver (replacing 3 credits of VWW):

  1. Obtain a copy of your DD Form 214 or Memo from you Commanding Officer proving your 4-week deployment
  2. Provide the above copy to your college academic advisor to request waiver
  3. Wait for your college to approve and confirm

Note: Credits are not being waived, only one of the two courses are being waived within the requirement. You may still need to complete three credits in consultation with your academic advisor. Please contact the MVP or your academic advisor for questions and concerns.

Resources for Students

Military and Veteran Housing

New Mexico State University is one of the first in the nation to offer on-campus housing specifically designated for student veterans and their families transitioning out of the military and into student life. The Department of Housing & Residential Life has worked in conjunction with the Student Veterans Organization of NMSU to offer affordable housing on campus to student veterans attending the university.

For more information, please contact Housing and Residential Life: (575) 646-3202,,

Service Members Opportunity Consortium (SOC)

The NMSU system has been designated a Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Consortium university. As a member of SOC, NMSU has committed itself to fully support and comply with SOC principles and criteria, ensuring that service members and their families share in the postsecondary educational opportunities available to other citizens. Those eligible are provided with appropriately accredited educational programs, courses, and services. The flexibility of programs and procedures particularly in admissions, counseling, credit transfer, course articulation, recognition of other applicable learning experiences, including those gained in the military, scheduling, course format and residency requirements are provided to enhance access of service members and their families to undergraduate education programs. All SOC rules and regulations apply, including:

  • Credit for military training and experience – NMSU recognizes and uses ACE Guide in evaluating military training experiences
  • Reduced academic residency requirements – 25% maximum for most programs; 30% for 100% online programs
  • No final year or semester requirement
  • Credit for nationally-recognized testing programs such as CLEP (General and Subject exams), DSST (DANTES Standardized Subject Tests)

For further assistance contact:

Military and Veterans Programs
MSC 4740, PO Box 30001
Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001
(575) 646-4524

Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC)

The Reserve Officer Training Corps is a commissioning program designed to attract, motivate and train qualified students for military service as officers. The ROTC program is represented on the NMSU campus by the Department of Military Science (U.S. Army) and the Department of Aerospace Studies (U.S. Air Force).

Curricula in the Departments of Military Science and Aerospace Studies are divided into basic and advanced courses of two years each. Enrollment in the basic course is voluntary and involves no obligation. Participation in the advanced courses is on a contractual basis and leads to military service as a commissioned officer. Elective academic credit is granted by the university for ROTC classes.

Students with prior military service or Junior ROTC experience may receive credit, although not academic credit, for all or portions of the basic courses.

All qualified cadets enrolled in ROTC receive a stipend that varies dependent upon the year the cadet is in the program. Scholarships, which pay full college tuition as well as various laboratory, textbook and incidental fees, are available on a competitive basis.

For more detailed information about the ROTC programs, see the College of Arts and Sciences departments of Aerospace Studies and Military Science in this catalog. Additional information may be obtained by contacting the departments directly at:

(575) 646-4030 (Army)
(575) 646-2136 (Air Force)

Aggies Green Zone

The Aggies Green Zone is designed to help develop a supportive and caring environment in which students feel welcomed and trusted, especially in their transition from military to student life. The Aggies Green Zone program prepare faculty and staff to better understand the unique needs and challenges faced by military and veteran students.

Aggies Green Zone Allies

Aggies Green Zone Allies are empathetic faculty and staff members that military, veteran, and dependent students can reach out to for support. Allies are not expected to be experts in military and veteran matters, but they can make a positive impact by lending a sympathetic ear and connecting students to appropriate resources.

Faculty and Staff receive an Allies designation after participating in the Aggies Green Zone program and their name and contact information are listed on the MVP website. For more information, please visit:

Military Withdrawal

New Mexico State University understands that our military students may be called to active duty, specialized training, or disaster relief efforts with little notice. U.S. active duty military students wishing to withdraw from all their classes must present their orders and their request for full withdrawal, as indicated below. However, the below policy does not pertain to a student’s basic and/or annual training. A student who has an order for training is encouraged to formally request, through the proper military chain of command, a postponement of their orders until the summer or the end of the semester they are currently enrolled in. If a student’s request for postponement is denied, the student may then follow the below steps but must provide documentation that their postponement request was formally denied.

All NMSU students that have been called up for active duty must take the following steps in order to withdraw from all their classes:

  1. Military and Veterans Programs (MVP): TA/VA students ordered to Active Duty must provide a copy of orders to the MVP office, in Corbett Center Student Union, Room 244, or by email To assist in reporting accurate information to their military service or the VA Regional Office, student should also provide, in writing, last day of class attendance.
  2. NMSU University Student Records: All students presenting their orders to the University Student Records Office, (575) 646-3411, or, will receive a military withdrawal from classes and a full tuition and fees refund for that semester.
  3. Bookstore: Students who still have their receipts for textbooks purchased the semester in which they are called to active duty will be given a full refund for these textbook purchases when they present their orders. Please contact the bookstore for assistance at (575) 646-4431 or

NMSU Grants                                 
1500 N. Third St                               
Grants, NM 87020           
(505) 287-6678