Sociology - Master of Arts (Online)
Non-Thesis Program Requirements: Coursework Only
Students who choose this option will take a minimum of 36 credit hours of graduate work distributed as follows:
|SOCI 5110||Perspectives on Sociology 1||3|
|SOCI 5163||Issues in Advanced Quantitative Analysis 1||3|
|SOCI 5165||Foundations of Social Theory 1||3|
|SOCI 5153||Seminar in Sociological Research 1||3|
|SOCI 5157||Seminar in Qualitative Research Methods 1||3|
|Select an additional 21 credits from 5000 level Sociology course work to be taken in consultation with the sociology graduate student’s advisor.||21|
|Final master’s written examination covering all general coursework.|
To be taken within the first 27 hours of graduate credit. A grade of B- or better is required to receive credit for each of these core courses.
To apply for admission to the Online Sociology MA Program and the Graduate School, applicants must meet the following criteria and submit the following through https://apply.nmsu.edu/apply/.
- Application form and any applicable fees
- An undergraduate cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- A record of professional, ethical, and collegial behavior.
- Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
- A well-written statement of purpose from the candidate addressing graduate school objectives and interests.
Failure to meet any of the above criteria may result in the student not being accepted into our program. However, in cases when an otherwise outstanding student does not meet the GPA requirements, the student may be accepted provisionally into the program.
The GRE is not required for admission. Students may be required to take prerequisites before gaining admission.
The department admits students on a rolling basis.