Nursing - Doctor of Philosophy
Ph.D.: The intent of the nursing Ph.D. program is to prepare individuals who can assume leadership roles in advancing the scholarship of teaching, research and professional service activities. The focus of the program is on nursing scholarship to facilitate development of new knowledge and nursing education directed at improving nursing care outcomes for individuals, families, communities and systems.
Admission to the Ph.D. and DNP programs is in accordance with the general regulations of the Graduate School. Additional requirements include:
- a MSN from an accredited college or university;
- successful completion of an upper division statistics course for the DNP program and a graduate level statistics course for the Ph.D. program (taken within the last five years);
- three professional letters of recommendation;
- a letter stating personal goals for graduate education, completions of writing requirement, interview with nursing faculty, resume identifying practice experience; and
- proof of licensure or eligibility for licensure as a Registered Nurse in any of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, or U.S. territories.
Students in the Ph.D. program complete a Dissertation. All materials should be sent to the School of Nursing with Graduate School application materials placed in a separate envelope. Contact the Ph.D. programs for full and part-time options.
|NURS 600||Philosophy of Science in Nursing||3|
|NURS 601||Theory I: Methods and Processes of Nursing Knowledge Development||3|
|NURS 602||Theory II: Contemporary Substantive Nursing Knowledge||3|
|NURS 606||Quantitative Methods in Nursing Research||3|
|NURS 607||Qualitative Methods in Nursing Research||3|
|NURS 610||Nursing Education: Pedagogy and Roles||3|
|NURS 620||Advanced Health Care Statistics I||3|
|NURS 621||Advanced Health Care Statistics II||3|
|NURS 623||Mixed Methods||3|
|NURS 624||Measurement in Culturally Diverse Border Populations||3|
|NURS 630||Issues in Studying Health of Culturally Diverse and Border Populations||3|
|NURS 631||Population Based Approaches to Health Promotion||3|
|NURS 650||Behaviorial Approaches and Determinants of Nursing and Health||3|
|NURS 690||Doctoral Nursing Seminar||1-3|
|NURS 700||Doctoral Dissertation||21|
Those enrolled as PhD students have dissertation and non-dissertation options (check with advisor). All students must complete a written and oral examination after completing 41-47 credit hours.
New Mexico State University is a full member of the National Council of State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements consortium (SARA). Students will need to check the SARA website (http://nc-sara.org/) before application to determine if NMSU has a reciprocity agreement with their home state before application is made.