Special Education Alternative Licensure - Graduate Certificate
The NMSU Special Education Alternative Licensure Certificate aims to recruit highly qualified individuals who have earned at least a bachelor's degree in a related field and are eligible for a temporary two-year alternative license in the State of New Mexico. We seek individuals who will have dramatic impact on the social, cultural, emotional, and intellectual growth of youth with whom they will work throughout their career.
Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements and submit the required documentation for consideration:
Meet minimum state requirements of at least a bachelor's degree and course requirements of 30 undergraduate credit hours (184.108.40.206 NMAC) in the teaching field with a minimum 2.75 cumulative undergraduate GPA.
- Passing scores for the Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core): https://www.ets.org/praxis/nm
- Be hired and submit a copy of a current teaching contract from a school district in New Mexico that indicates the candidate is the teacher of record in a special education classroom for each year of employment.
- Admission to the School of Teacher Preparation, Administration, and Leadership in the College of Education.
- Admission to the NMSU Graduate School
|SPED 5105||Introduction to Special Education in a Diverse Society||3|
|SPED 5110||Low Incidence Disabilities in a Diverse Society||3|
|SPED 5120||High Incidence Disabilities in a Diverse Society||3|
|SPED 5130||Reading for Elementary Exceptional Learners in a Diverse Society, K-6||3|
|SPED 5140||Reading for Secondary Exceptional Learners in a Diverse Society, 7-12||3|
|SPED 5210||Introduction to Assessment of Diverse Exceptional Learners||3|
|SPED 5220||Classroom Management for Diverse Learners||3|
All licensure courses are eligible for transfer into a regular TPAL master's program.
Other Program Requirements
- Complete and maintain a 3.0 minimum GPA in all courses throughout the program
- Pass Praxis® Special Education: Core Knowledge and Applications
- Pass Praxis® Principles of Learning and Teaching: Grades K-6 or Principles of Learning and Teaching: Grades 7-12
- Participate in two complete semesters of observation by a University Supervisor with a fee for each semester.