Government - Bachelor of Arts

Departmental Requirements

Prefix Title Credits
General Education
Area I: Communications10
English Composition - Level 1 1
English Composition - Level 2 1
Oral Communication 1
Area II: Mathematics 1,23-4
Area III/IV: Laboratory Sciences and Social/Behavioral Sciences11
American National Government 33
American Politics in a Changing World
Introduction to Political Science 33
The Citizen and the State: Great Political Issues
Area III: Laboratory Sciences Course (4 credits) 1
Area V: Humanities 13
Area VI: Creative and Fine Arts 13
General Education Elective 13-4
Viewing A Wider World 46
Departmental/College Requirements
The department requires (GOVT 100G or HON 249G) and (GOVT 110G or HON 248G) as degree requirements. These courses will count towards the General Education and Departmental requirements 3
GOVT 101Introductory Government Seminar 31
GOVT 300Political Research Skills3
Another social science research methods course 5
Select one upper-division course from four of six subfields:12
Public Administration and Policy (GOVT 20/30 series)
American Government and Politics (GOVT 40/50 series)
International Relations (GOVT 60 series, may include HON 304V)
Comparative Politics (GOVT 70 series may include HON 307V)
Political Theory GOVT 80 series may include GOVT 380V)
Public Law (GOVT 90 series)
GOVT 415Senior Seminar (take in final year)2
Select additional credits in government to bring total credits in major to 33, including 20 upper-division.9
Second Language: (required - see below)
Electives, to bring the total credits to 120 654-52
Total Credits120

Note: Students may not count S/U grades taken in their major unless the particular course is regularly graded S/U. All courses must be passed with grades of C- or better. In addition, while research methods courses taken outside of the department may count toward the methods requirement, only GOVT 300 Political Research Skills counts toward the 33 credits in the major.

Up to twelve hours of internship credit are available. However, only three hours count toward the major. Internship guidelines are available in the department office and on the Government Department web page,

Second Language Requirement

For the Bachelor of Arts in Government there is a two year second language requirement, the student must do one of the following:

Option 1:

Prefix Title Credits
Complete one of the following sequences:
CHIN 111
CHIN 112
CHIN 211
CHIN 212
Elementary Chinese I
and Elementary Chinese II
and Intermediate Chinese I
and Intermediate Chinese II
FREN 111
FREN 112
FREN 211
FREN 212
Elementary French I
and Elementary French II
and Intermediate French I
and Intermediate French II
GER 111
GER 112
GER 211
GER 212
Elementary German I
and Elementary German II
and Intermediate German I
and Intermediate German II
JPNS 111
JPNS 112
JPNS 211
JPNS 212
Elementary Japanese I
and Elementary Japanese II
and Intermediate Japanese I
and Intermediate Japanese II
SPAN 111
SPAN 112
SPAN 211
SPAN 212
Elementary Spanish I
and Elementary Spanish II
and Intermediate Spanish I
and Intermediate Spanish II
PORT 213
PORT 214
Portuguese for Romance Language Students I
and Portuguese for Romance Language Students II
For Heritage Speakers:
SPAN 113
SPAN 213
SPAN 214
Spanish for Heritage Learners I
and Spanish for Heritage Learners II
and Spanish for Heritage Learners III

Option 2:

Prefix Title Credits
Complete the following sequence for American Sign Language (with a C- or better):
C D 374American Sign Language I3
C D 375American Sign Language II3
C D 476American Sign Language III3

Option 3:

Prefix Title Credits
Challenge the 212 level for the following courses:
CHIN 212Intermediate Chinese II3
or FREN 212 Intermediate French II
or GER 212 Intermediate German II
or JPNS 212 Intermediate Japanese II
or SPAN 212 Intermediate Spanish II
Challenge the 214 level for the following courses:
PORT 214Portuguese for Romance Language Students II3
or SPAN 214 Spanish for Heritage Learners III

Option 4:

Pass a three-credit, upper-division course (numbered 300 or above) taught in a second language by the department of Languages and Linguistics.

Option 5:

Obtain college certification of completion of three years of a second language at the high school level with a grade of C- or higher in the second-year level.

Option 6:

By obtaining certification of a working knowledge of a Native American language from the American Indian program director.

Option 7:

By obtaining, from the head of the Department of Languages and Linguistics, certification of a working knowledge of a second language if such language is not taught at NMSU.

Option 8:

In the case of a foreign student who is required to take the TOEFL exam admission, the dean will automatically waive the second language requirement.