Military and Veterans Programs (MVP)

NMSU Grants: Contact a Certifying Official in Student Services to access your Educational Benefits, at (505) 287-6678.

NMSU is a military and veteran friendly university which strives to provide the best possible service to our current and former service members as they pursue their educational goals. NMSU Military and Veterans Programs promotes lifelong learning and professional development for veterans, active-duty military and their families, assisting them in their higher education goals by offering:

  • Affordable, in-state tuition rates for active-duty military personnel and dependents using federal education benefits
  • Affordable, in-state tuition rates for veterans and dependents receiving U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits
  • Easily transferable credits that count toward degrees at NMSU
  • Facilitation of all Department of Defense Tuition Assistance (TA) Benefits
  • Courses taught online and at locations near regional military installations
  • Innovative technology and course delivery methods
  • Internships for veterans
  • Student advocacy at every level, from admissions to graduation
  • Resource materials from a variety of veteran and military service organizations
  • Priority registration for all military and veteran students
  • Veterans on Campus Training by Kognito, training faculty and staff on our student veterans and the unique value they bring to campus
  • Salute Honor Society for student veterans
  • Connection with student organizations
  • A tradition of quality education

NMSU degree programs are approved by the State Approving Agency Directory at the New Mexico Higher Education Department. Eligible students may receive education benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

For further information, contact Military and Veterans Programs at:

MSC 4740, PO Box 30001
Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001
Phone: (575) 646-4524



Active-duty military personnel (Armed Forces) stationed in New Mexico or at Fort Bliss, Texas may complete a Resident Tuition Application for Active Military, Veterans and Dependents of the US Armed Forces waiver to qualify for in-state tuition. Spouses and minor children of active-duty personnel who are stationed in New Mexico and Fort Bliss, Texas who are not otherwise entitled to claim in-state residency, may apply for in-state tuition by submitting a Resident Tuition Application for Active Military, Veterans and Dependents of the US Armed Forces waiver to the Military and Veterans Programs office. Applications are available at the Military and Veterans Programs Office, online at, or through the University Student Records Office.

Dependents Receiving VA Educational Benefits

Per NM 2015 HB 427:

A spouse or child of a veteran of the armed forces is entitled to pay tuition and fees at the rate provided for New Mexico residents; provided that the spouse or child is eligible for benefits pursuant to the federal Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 or any other federal law authorizing educational benefits for a veteran and the dependents of a veteran. Applications are available by contacting Military and Veterans Programs office.


Veterans receiving U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits are eligible for in-state tuition through the Veterans In-State Tuition Act by submitting a Resident Tuition Application for Active Military, Veterans and Dependents of the US Armed Forces waiver. For further information concerning approved programs and application process, eligible persons should contact Military and Veterans Programs office.

Veteran students enrolled under the following programs are responsible for their tuition and fees in the same manner as a nonveteran student:

  • Montgomery GI Bill®-Active Duty (CH30)
  • Dependents (CH35)
  • Montgomery GI Bill®-Selected Reserve (CH1606)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) Tuition and fees of students enrolled under the Vocational Rehabilitation Program (CH31) will be paid by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs under contract with the university.


Note: These regulations apply to all campuses of NMSU and are effective with the publication of this catalog. Tuition amounts, fees, and similar items subject to annual review and change are all effective with the current catalog.

Credit for Military Service

New Mexico State University will award academic credit to United States military personnel for courses and Military Occupational Specialties (MOS), based on the American Council of Education Guide (ACE) as well as through national standardized tests, such as CLEP, AP, PEP and DANTES. Credit for military-training is in accordance with NMSU Faculty Senate Legislation Proposition 24-07/08, which was passed in May 2008. Military Training and Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) must have a recommendation evaluation by ACE (in the ACE Guide) for credit to be awarded. Courses accepted for transfer credit become part of the student’s official NMSU transcript and academic record. If a student wishes to appeal a decision regarding the acceptance of military training/education and/or MOS for academic credit, the student must submit a written statement of appeal to the Dean of the College to which the student has applied. The Dean will review the merits of the appeal and render a decision. The decision of the Dean is final.

Only Primary MOS (s) are eligible for academic credit in the initial review and evaluation. Credit for Duty and/or Secondary MOS may be eligible for academic credit if the student petitions the college’s Associate Dean. Primary MOS is the primary specialty of a soldier and reflects the broadest and most in-depth scope of military experience. Veterans, active-duty personnel, National Guard and Reservists who are current students or students applying for admission to New Mexico State University may be granted academic credit on a case-by-case basis upon evaluation of military transcripts - the Joint Service Transcript ( and the Community College of the Air Force transcripts. Course equivalencies and credit hours awarded for a particular NMSU degree are determined by colleges and/or academic departments. Credit hours may be awarded for specific courses toward degree requirement, or as elective credit. The number of credit hours awarded will be determined by the college and/or academic department.

NOTE: Students submitting military transcripts for credit evaluation must keep in mind the Maximum Time Frame policy. See Financial Aid Section.

Tuition Assistance

Tuition Assistance (TA) is a benefit paid to eligible active duty members of the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, and Navy. The Department of Defense (DoD) has given each service the ability to pay up to $250 per semester credit hour of the actual cost of tuition (no fees) during the fiscal year (Oct. 1 - Sept. 30). TA will pay for up to 13- semester hours of a bachelor's degree and up to 39- semester hours of a master's degree. TA must be requested and approved prior to the start date of the course.

Service members must first be admitted to NMSU before they may enroll in any classes at NMSU.

Please be aware of our admission and registration process:

  1. Service members must apply online to be admitted,
  2. Login to to register for classes, and
  3. Create an account and Request TA through their service online portal. Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, application process and restrictions. Refer to our website for service login information:

It is important to request TA for the same class and section number as enrolled in NMSU for tuition and grading purposes. Only enrollments requested and approved through their service online portal will be eligible for TA. Refer to our website for further information at or contact the Military Programs Coordinator for assistance at or (575) 646-4524.

Military Withdrawal

The following steps must be taken by all New Mexico State University students called up for active duty who wish to withdraw from all their classes:

  1. Military and Veterans Programs: VA students ordered to Active Duty must provide a copy of orders to the MVP office, Garcia Annex, room 144. To assist in reporting accurate information to the VA Regional Office, student should also provide, in writing, last day of class attendance.
  2. NMSU Registrar: All students presenting their orders to the University Student Records Office, (575) 646-3411, will receive a military withdrawal from classes and a full tuition and fees refund for that semester.
  3. Bookstore: Students who still have their receipts for textbooks purchased the semester in which they are called to active duty will be given a full refund for these textbook purchases when they present their orders. (575) 646-4431.

Veterans’ Attendance and Satisfactory Progress

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs requires all veterans receiving VA education benefits to make satisfactory progress and systematic advancement toward an educational objective or be liable for over-payments. Satisfactory progress and regular class attendance are expected of such students.

If a veteran receiving benefits is suspended for academic reasons, benefits are terminated and will be restored only after readmission to NMSU.

If the university has liability claims filed against it as a result of a veteran failing to meet compliance requirements of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, the university will not release any academic records on the veteran until such time as the veteran has reimbursed the federal government for funds drawn in violation of those requirements.

A student receiving VA education benefits who is pursuing a degree program offered by New Mexico State University should adhere to the curriculum of that program. Failure to do so will result in the student being certified for less than full-time status or becoming liable for an overpayment.

Responsibility of Veteran Students

Students must be pursuing a degree in a specific program to be eligible for benefits. Admission procedures for veterans and other eligible persons are the same as for all students. Academic advisors must submit degree plans to Military and Veterans Programs prior to certification. For continued certification, students must submit a Concise Student Schedule to the MVP office every semester.

Veterans must notify the MVP office when any of the following occurs:

  • Dropping or adding course(s)
  • Withdrawing from course(s)
  • Discontinuing regular class attendance
  • Changing programs (academic majors)

VA education benefits are payable for regular attendance in courses that are part of the veteran's program (major) curriculum. VA educational benefits are not payable for:

  • Classes not attended regularly
  • Repeating a course for which a passing grade was received
  • Classes for which credit is received through successful completion of a proficiency test or grade by examination
  • Classes taken on an audit basis
  • Classes that are dropped or withdrawn from
  • Classes taken that are not part of the veteran's program (major) curriculum