Financial Aid & Scholarship Services

University Financial Aid and Scholarship Services administers a broad spectrum of loans, grants, scholarships and work-study funding in an attempt to meet the financial need of the university’s students.

University Financial Aid and Scholarship Services awards financial aid to students according to their individual needs. Parents of students are expected to contribute to their child’s education according to their ability, taking into account their income, assets, number of dependents, and other relevant information. Students themselves are expected to contribute from their own assets and earnings, including appropriate borrowing against future income. All information provided to University Financial Aid and Scholarship Services is regarded as confidential.

Students applying for financial aid must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) designed to determine, in accordance with state and federal guidelines, the difference between what the student or family is expected to contribute and the cost of attending NMSU. Among the factors that determine the family’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC) are:

  1. annual adjusted gross income as reported to the Internal Revenue Service;
  2. savings, stocks, and/or bonds;
  3. other assets in the form of a business, farm or real estate;
  4. nontaxable income and benefits; and
  5. student’s prior year income and assets.

Students applying for financial aid should complete a FAFSA by visiting

Please refer to the NMSU Financial Aid and Scholarship Services web site for more information on available financial aid. A complete listing of programs and policies is available at

General Eligibility Requirements

To receive financial aid you must be admitted to NMSU as a degree seeking student in an eligible degree or certificate program and demonstrate that you are qualified to obtain an education by:

  • Having a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent such as a General Educational Development (GED) certificate or
  • Completing a high school education in a home-school setting approved under state law or
  • If you were enrolled in college in an eligible program or career school prior to July 2, 2012, you may show you are qualified to obtain a higher education by either:
    • Having passed an approved ability-to-benefit test (if you don't have a diploma or GED, a college can administer a test to determine whether you can benefit from the education offered at that school) or
    • Completing six credit hours or equivalent course work toward a degree or certificate (you may not receive aid while earning the six credit hours)
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen (state funded scholarships are available to undocumented students).
  • Have a valid Social Security number. If you don’t have a Social Security number, you can find out more about applying for one at
  • Must be meeting satisfactory academic progress (SAP).
  • Sign a statement on the FAFSA certifying that you will use Federal student aid only for educational purposes.
  • Sign a statement on the FAFSA certifying that you are not in default on a federal student loan and that you do not owe money back on a federal student grant.
  • Register with the Selective Service, if required.

Financial Aid Awards

All financial aid awards are based on information provided by the student and parents, availability of funds and eligibility requirements. Any award may be revised based on changes in enrollment, cost of attendance, application of graduation, family contribution or failure to meet satisfactory academic progress. Withdrawals or reductions in enrollment may affect an award or any future awards. Financial Aid will not pay for audited courses or some repeats.


The Federal Pell Grant is a federal grant available to undergraduate students with documented financial need. If a Pell Grant is insufficient to pay educational expenses, the student may be eligible to receive other types of aid, including a Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) or Leveraging Education Assistance Partnership Program Grant (LEAP), and/or other miscellaneous grants. These grants are awarded to undergraduate students who show exceptional financial need. For more information, contact University Financial Aid and Scholarship Services or visit the university’s financial aid website at: Generally, grants do not have to be repaid.

Work-Study Programs

The Federal and New Mexico State Work-Study Programs provide employment opportunities for eligible students.

For more information on the U.S. Department of Education student aid programs, go to or see the NMSU Financial Aid web site at http:/

Scholarships and Other Aid

Many students finance part of their education with scholarships, which may be awarded for academic achievement, special skills, talent and/or based on the applicants financial need.

NMSU has a variety of scholarships that are offered to incoming freshman, transfer, continuing and graduate students. State, institutional and private scholarships may also be available but amounts, deadlines and eligibility requirements vary. For more information, contact University Financial Aid and Scholarship Services or visit the university’s scholarship web site at or call 287-6678 to speak with a NMSU Grants Financial Aid Processor or Advisor.

To be considered for most scholarships at NMSU for which you may be eligible you are required to apply online through Scholar Dollar$, at One scholarship application serves all NMSU students regardless of campus.

Federal Direct Subsidized Loans

This is a loan program for eligible undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need. The U.S. Department of Education pays the interest on a Direct Subsidized Loan while the student is enrolled in school at least half-time.

Eligible first time undergraduate student loan borrowers are subject to a maximum time period to receive Federal Direct Subsidized Loans.  Students may not receive Federal Direct Subsidized Loans for more than 150% of the published length of their academic program (measured in academic years).  A complete explanation of Subsidized Loan usage limits is available at:

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans

Loans that are made to eligible undergraduate who do not demonstrate financial need and graduate students. Unlike other federal loans, interest accrues while the student is attending school.

Federal Direct Loan Requirements

Students receiving a subsidized or unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan, must complete an online entrance counseling session and a master promissory note before NMSU will issue the funds. In addition, students must complete an exit interview upon graduation or withdrawal from the university.

Repayment of a Federal Direct loan begins six months after graduation or six months after enrollment drops below half-time (less than 6 credits for undergraduate students and less than 5 credits for graduate students).


Recipients of financial aid grants and loans who drop credits or withdraw may be required to return all or a portion of awarded Title IV funds. Further information regarding the return of Title IV funds is available on the NMSU-Las Cruces web site at

Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal regulations require that financial aid recipients meet certain academic standards to be eligible for federal financial aid. To ensure that financial aid recipients are making satisfactory academic progress, academic transcripts are reviewed at the end of each term to determine eligibility for the next term. All terms of attendance are reviewed, including periods in which the student did not receive financial aid. All transfer credit hours are taken into account when satisfactory progress is reviewed. The Financial Aid SAP standards are not the same as NMSU's Academic Standards of Progress criteria.

Elements of Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress:

  • Qualitative Progress: Undergraduate students must maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 (a C- average). Graduate students must maintain a cumulative GPA of at least a 3.0 (a B average).
  • Completion Rate: Students must complete a minimum of 70 percent of all coursework (registered credit hours) attempted at NMSU. Any course with a grade of withdraw (W), incomplete (I), repeats (RR), failure (F), audit (AU), or no credit (NC) is not considered completed coursework. Repeated courses are included in the calculation.

  • Maximum Time Frame: Undergraduate students must complete their program within 150 percent of the published length required by the program. Students who have reached the maximum allowable time will be suspended from receiving financial aid. Limited developmental/remedial hours are excluded from this calculation. Total attempted hours including repeated courses and transfer coursework are included in the student’s maximum time frame calculation.

Financial Aid Warning

"Warning" is a status assigned to a student who fails to make satisfactory academic progress at a school that evaluates satisfactory academic progress at the end of each payment period and/or term, and chooses to allow students who fail its progress standards to continue to receive aid. If the student has not returned to satisfactory standing after this additional semester, he or she will be suspended from further financial assistance until the satisfactory progress standards are met.

Financial Aid Suspension

Students are suspended from receiving financial aid if they do not meet satisfactory academic progress standards for financial aid purposes. Students on financial aid suspension will not receive any form of federal or state financial aid (grants, loans, work study). Financial aid eligibility is reinstated when all standards of satisfactory progress are met.

The Appeals Process

Students suspended from financial aid may appeal the suspension if there are mitigating circumstances affecting their progress. Students who would like to appeal the suspension must submit an appeal form, available at, and all required documentation to University Financial Aid and Scholarship Services. A committee will review the appeal and may grant reinstatement of financial aid based on mitigating circumstances that directly contributed to deficient academic performance. Appeals are evaluated on a term-by-term basis. All appeals, including relevant documentation, must be submitted by the semester deadline based on the current semester of enrollment. A student may appeal the termination of eligibility only twice during his or her career within the New Mexico State University.

Contact Information

For more information, contact :

NMSU Grants Financial Aid Processor and Advisors (505) 287-6678. Financial Aid fax (505) 287-6676

1500 N. Third St., Grants, NM 87020

Major Scholarships for Entering Freshmen

For consideration, students must be admitted (tentative or final) to NMSU by March 1, and meet eligibility criteria at that time. Stu­dents must be NM residents and graduate from a New Mexico High School and attend at least one year at a New Mexico High School or be a New Mexico GED recipient Students must enroll in the first regular semester directly following high school graduation. Recipients must be enrolled in degree-seeking courses at NMSU Grants. Some scholarships may be funded in part by the New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship beginning the second semester. A FAFSA application is or may be required for most scholarships. Scholarships are com­petitive and number of awards granted is limited. Entering freshman students must accept scholarships offered by July 1st (at NMSU Grants).

President’s Scholarship: Tuition and Fees—High School Requirements: minimum 2.5 GPA. Renewable: 2.5 cumulative GPA and 12 graded credits each semester. High School Seniors and current students are advised to apply early

March 1 Fall semester
December 1 Spring semester

New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship1: Awarded in the second semester of the freshman year for qualified students completing 12 credits with a semester GPA of 2.5. Student must be classified as degree seeking; not Certificate seeking. Renewable: 2.5 cumulative GPA and 12 new graded credits each semester at a community college.