HLED 1154. Lifeguarding
2 Credits (2)
Skills training for a nonsurf lifeguard. Course will include Standard First Aid and CPR certification. May be repeated up to 2 credits.
- To help the student become aware of the common hazards associated with various types of aquatic facilities and to develop the knowledge and skills to eliminate or minimize such hazards.
- To help the student develop the skills necessary to recognize a person in distress or in a drowning situation and to effectively rescue that person.
- To help the student understand their responsibility to their employer, fellow employees and especially to the patrons of their facility.
- To provide explanations, demonstrations, practice and review of the rescue skills essential for lifeguarding.
- To instill in the students an understanding and appreciation for the responsibilities, swimming skills and additional duties of lifeguarding.
- To develop more advance swimming skills to assist in a water rescue.