Transfer Students

Transfer students from other colleges or universities may be accepted for undergraduate studies if they have completed at least 36 credit hours with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0. Students who have earned 35 or fewer college credits must fulfill the freshman admission requirements and have at least a 2.5 overall grade point average in college.

In applying for admission to NMSU Carlsbad, new and transfer students are advised to follow these procedures.

  1. Apply for admission. Forms are available in the Student Services Office or online at
  2. Request official transcripts of high school or GED and all previous college course work. All Official transcripts should be mailed directly by the school or college registrar to:
    NMSU Carlsbad
    ATTN: Admissions Office
    1500 University Drive
    Carlsbad, NM  88220
  3. Take placement tests in certain Math, English and Reading. The test may be waived for students who have taken the ACT within the last year, are transferring in Math, Reading or English courses or pursuing certain vocational program.
  4. Meet with an advisor in the Counseling and Student Development Center before registering to receive assistance with choice or major, course information, degree plans and proper course selection.

Enter registration information by web ( and pay, or make arrangements to pay, applicable tuition and fees in the Business Office.

Community/Junior College Transfers

Community/Junior college transfer students may be admitted and classified on the basis of acceptable credits earned at a two-year institution. However, transfer students are subject to the same graduation requirements as all NMSU Las Cruces campus baccalaureate seeking students. This includes the required minimum number of 48 upper division credits from courses numbered 300 or above and the requirement that the last 30 credits must be earned through this university.

NOTE: Students currently enrolled at a NMSU Community College (Alamogordo, Dona Ana, Carlsbad or Grants) are not considered transfer students. If a student wants to change campuses they must submit a Change of Campus form.


The transfer student must have official transcripts forwarded directly to the University Admissions Office by the Registrar of each college or educational institution previously attended. A student who conceals the fact that he or she has attended another college or university, and who has not had the Registrar submit a transcript for each institution whether or not credit was earned, will be subject to immediate suspension. Transcripts must be received before the date of registration. NMSU will uphold academic and judicial suspensions from other colleges and universities.

Transfer of Credits at NMSU

NMSU evaluates courses from post-secondary institutions that are regionally accredited or are candidates for regional accreditation. Provided the classes are similar or equivalent to courses offered at NMSU, credits will be matched for coursework completed with a grade of D or better. However, departments may choose to accept only courses graded C- or higher within their programs. Each college determines which transferred courses are applicable toward a degree or a minor. Grades earned in courses taken at other institutions are not included in the calculation of the NMSU GPA, except for grades earned by approved National Student Exchange students.

Transcripts may need to be re-evaluated when students transfer from one NMSU college to another.

Evaluation of Transfer Credits

Once a student has been admitted to NMSU, an evaluation of credits on a course-by-course basis is submitted to the college (by the University Student Records Office) to which the student is admitted. The student’s academic dean approves those transfer courses that are acceptable toward a degree or a minor.

Credits from non-accredited institutions may be evaluated by the student’s academic dean after the student has completed two semesters in full-time status with satisfactory grades. Currently enrolled students must obtain prior approval from their academic dean before work taken at another institution may apply toward meeting graduation requirements.

Transferring Courses to Fulfill the New Mexico General Education Common Core

During the 2005 New Mexico Legislative session, Senate Bill 161, consistent with requirements of state law (Chapter 224 of the Laws of New Mexico, 1995 as amended) was signed into law to further enhance and facilitate the articulation of general education courses among New Mexico’s colleges and universities. In accordance with policies established by the New Mexico Higher Education Department, designated general education core courses successfully completed at any regionally accredited public institution of higher education in New Mexico are guaranteed to transfer to any New Mexico public institution. Students who have decided on a major and/or an institution at which to complete their studies should consult with an academic advisor at that particular institution to determine the most appropriate course selections. Students enrolling for the first year of study at a New Mexico college or university and considering possible transfer into a certificate and/or degree program at another institution are encouraged to take the courses approved for transfer during their freshman and sophomore year of study.

The core matrix of approved courses guaranteed to transfer and meet general education requirements at any New Mexico college or university can be found on the New Mexico Higher Education Department web site at: Courses are listed by institution, whether university or community college, under each of the five general education areas. The courses for New Mexico State University are listed in the required courses section of this catalog.

Transferring Courses within Degree Programs

To facilitate the transfer of courses within certain degree programs, New Mexico colleges and universities have collaborated to develop transferable discipline modules. These are composed of an agreed upon number of hours and courses. When discipline module courses are taken in addition to the 35-hour general education core, the total number of hours in a transfer module are approximately 64.

Transfer Credit Appeal Process

All New Mexico public post-secondary institutions are required to establish policies and practices for receiving and resolving complaints from students or from other complainants regarding the transfer of coursework from other public institutions in the state. A copy of NMSU’s transfer credit policy may be obtained from the University Student Records Office or from the

Deputy Secretary for Academic Affairs
Higher Education Department
2048 Galisteo St.
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505-2100.

Student Responsibility

Planning for effective transfer within maximum efficiency is ultimately the student’s responsibility. Responsible transfer planning includes early and regular consultation with the intended degree-granting institution to assure that all pre-transfer coursework will meet the requirements of the desired degree.