Military and Veterans Programs (MVP)

NMSU is a veteran and military friendly university which strives to provide the best possible service to our current and former service members as they pursue their educational goals. NMSU Military and Veterans Programs promotes lifelong learning and professional development for veterans, active-duty military and their families, assisting them in their higher education goals by offering:

  • Affordable, in-state tuition rates for active-duty military personnel and dependents living at a regional military installations
  • Affordable, in-state tuition rates for veterans receiving U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits
  • Easily transferable credits that count toward degrees at NMSU Carlsbad
  • Facilitation of all Department of Defense Tuition Assistance (TA) Benefits
  • Courses taught online and at locations on and near regional military installations
  • Innovative technology and course delivery methods
  • Internships for veterans
  • Student advocacy at every level, from admissions to graduation
  • Resource materials from a variety of veteran and military service organizations
  • Priority registration for all military and veteran students
  • Veterans on Campus Training by Kognito, training faculty and staff on our student veterans and the unique value they bring to campus
  • Salute Honor Society for student veterans
  • Connect with student organizations
  • A tradition of quality education.

NMSU degree programs are approved by the State Approving Agency Director at the New Mexico Higher Education Department. Eligible students may receive education benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans’ Affairs. For further information, contact the Military and Veterans Program by contacting the Carlsbad Student Services Office.



Active-duty military personnel (Armed Forces), stationed in New Mexico or at Fort Bliss, Texas may complete a Resident Tuition Application for Active Duty Military waiver to qualify for in-state tuition. Spouses and minor children of active duty personnel who are stationed in New Mexico and Fort Bliss, Texas who are not otherwise entitled to claim in-state residency, may apply for in-state tuition by submitting a Resident Tuition Application for Active-Duty Military waiver to the Military and Veterans Programs office. Applications are available through the University Student Records Office, online at or by contacting the Carlsbad Student Services Office.

Dependents Receiving VA Educational Benefits

Per NM 2015 HB 427:

A spouse or child of a veteran of the armed forces is entitled to pay tuition and fees at the rate provided for New Mexico residents; provided that the spouse or child is eligible for benefits pursuant to the federal Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 or any other federal law authorizing educational benefits for a veteran and the dependents of a veteran. Applications are available by contacting the Carlsbad Student Services Office.


Veterans receiving U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits are eligible for in-state tuition through the Veterans In-State Tuition Act by submitting a Non-Residency Tuition Application for Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces waiver. For further information concerning approved programs and application process, eligible persons should contact the Carlsbad Student Services Office.

Veteran students enrolled under the following programs are responsible for their tuition and fees in the same manner as a non-veteran student.

  • Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (CH30)
  • Dependents (CH35)
  • Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve (CH1606)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) Tuition and fees of students enrolled under the Vocational Rehabilitation Program (CH31) will be paid by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs under contract with the university.


Note: These regulations apply to all campuses of NMSU and are effective with the publication of this catalog. Tuition amounts, fees and similar items subject to annual review and change are all effective with the current catalog.

The Veterans’ Administration (VA) has approved NMSU Carlsbad courses for study by veterans and others who qualify for veteran’s educational assistance. Processing of applications and certifications takes from 4 to 6 weeks and should, therefore, be initiated well in advance of course registration. Veterans must bring their course schedule to the NMSU Carlsbad Student Services Office each semester for continued certification.  The Veterans’ Administration toll free number is 1(888) 442-4551.

Veterans must maintain satisfactory attendance, conduct and progress. If the veteran does not meet the standards set by NMSU Carlsbad, the certifying official must notify the VA, at which time the VA will discontinue benefits.

If the university has liability claims filed against it as a result of a veteran failing to meet compliance requirements of the VA, the university will not release any academic records on the veterans until such time as the veteran has reimbursed the federal government for funds drawn in violation of those requirements.

Credit for Military Service

New Mexico State University will award academic credit to United States military personnel for courses and Military Occupational Specialties (MOS), based on the American Council of Education Guide (ACE) as well as through national standardized tests, such as CLEP, AP, PEP and DANTES. Credit for military-training is in accordance with NMSU Faculty Senate Legislation Proposition 24-07/08, which was passed in May 2008. Military Training and Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) must have a recommendation evaluation by ACE (in the ACE Guide) for credit to be awarded. Courses accepted for transfer credit become part of the student’s official NMSU transcript and academic record. If a student wishes to appeal a decision regarding the acceptance of military training/education and/or MOS for academic credit, the student must submit a written statement of appeal to the CAO/Provost. The CAO/Provost will review the merits of the appeal and render a decision. The decision of the CAO/Provost is final.

Only Primary MOS(s) are eligible for academic credit in the initial review and evaluation. Credit for Duty and/or Secondary MOS may be eligible for academic credit if the student petitions the CAO/Provost. Primary MOS is the primary specialty of a soldier and reflects the broadest and most in-depth scope of military experience. Veterans, active-duty personnel, National Guard and Reservists who are current students or students applying for admission to New Mexico State University may be granted academic credit on a case-by-case basis upon evaluation of military transcripts – the Joint Service Transcript ( and the Community College of the Air Force transcripts. Course equivalencies and credit hours awarded for a particular NMSU degree are determined by college and/or academic departments. Credit hours may be awarded for specific courses toward degree requirement or as elective credit. The number of credit hours awarded will be determined by the college and/or academic department.

NOTE: Students submitting military transcripts for credit evaluation must keep in mind the Maximum Time Frame policy. See Financial Aid Section.

Tuition Assistance

Tuition Assistance (TA) is a benefit paid to eligible active duty members of the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines and Navy. The Department of Defense (DoD) has given each service the ability to pay up to $250 per semester credit hour of the actual cost of tuition (no fees) during the fiscal year (Oct. 1 - Sept. 30). TA will pay for up to 13- semester hours of a bachelor's degree and up to 39 semester hours of a master's degree. TA must be requested and approved prior to the start date of the course.

Service members must first be admitted to NMSU before they may enroll in any classes at NMSU.

Please be aware of our admission and registration process:

  1. Service members must apply online to be admitted,
  2. login to to register for classes, and
  3. create an account and Request TA through their service online portal. Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, application process and restrictions. Refer to our website for service login information:

It is important to request TA for the same class and section number as enrolled in NMSU for tuition and grading purposes. Only enrollments requested and approved through their service online portal will be eligible for TA. Refer to our website for further information at or contact the Military Programs Coordinator for assistance at or (575) 646-4524.

Military/Veteran Graduate Student Status

Veteran benefits are determined by the number of graded graduate credits of enrollment for a given semester or summer session. Listed below are the credit hours that determine student status for military veterans.

Fall and Spring semester: full-time enrollment includes 9 or more graded credit hours. Students are considered three-fourths time if they are enrolled in 7 to 8 credit hours. Half time enrollment is 5 hours. Veterans enrolled in less than 5 credit hours are reimbursed for tuition and allowable fees only.

There are several sessions within the summer term. For the 10 week summer session, full-time enrollment is 6 credit hours and half time enrollment is 3 credit hours. During the five week sessions, full-time enrollment is 4 graded credit hours.

Military Withdrawal

The following steps must be taken by all New Mexico State University students called up for active duty who wish to withdraw from their classes:

  1. Military and Veterans Programs: VA student ordered to Active Duty must provide a copy of orders to the Carlsbad Office of Student Services. To assist in reporting accurate information to the VA Regional Office, student should also provide, in writing, the last day of class attendance.
  2. Carlsbad Office of Student Services: All students presenting their orders to the Carlsbad Office of Student Services will receive a military withdrawal from classes and a full tuition and fees refund for that semester.
  3. Bookstore: Students who still have their receipts for textbooks purchased the semester in which they are called to active duty will be given a full refund for these textbook purchases when they present their orders.

Veterans’ Attendance and Satisfactory Progress

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs requires all veterans receiving VA education benefits to make satisfactory progress and systematic advancement toward an educational objective or be liable for over-payments. Satisfactory progress and regular class attendance are expected of such students.

If a veteran receiving benefits is suspended for academic reasons, benefits are terminated and will be restored only after readmission to NMSU.

If the university has liability claims filed against it as a result of a veteran failing to meet compliance requirements of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, the university will not release any academic records on the veteran until such time as the veteran has reimbursed the federal government for funds drawn in violation of those requirements.

A student receiving VA education benefits who is pursuing a degree program offered by New Mexico State University should adhere to the curriculum of that program. Failure to do so will result in the student being certified for less than full-time status or becoming liable for an over-payment.

Resources for Students

Responsibility of Veteran Students

Students must be pursuing a degree in a specific program to be eligible for benefits. Admission procedures for veterans and other eligible persons are the same as for all students. Academic advisors must submit degree plans to the Carlsbad Office of Student Services prior to certification. For continued certification, students must submit a Concise Student Schedule to the Carlsbad Office of Student Services every semester.

Veterans must notify the Carlsbad Office of Student Services when any of the following occurs:

  • Dropping or adding course(s)
  • Withdrawing from course(s)
  • Discontinuing regular class attendance
  • Changing programs (academic majors)

VA education benefits are payable for regular attendance in courses that are part of the veteran’s program (major) curriculum. VA educational benefits are not payable for:

  • Classes not attended regularly
  • Repeating a course for which a passing grade was received
  • Classes for which credit is received through successful completion of a proficiency test or grade by examination
  • Classes taken on an audit basis
  • Classes that are dropped or withdrawn from
  • Classes that are not part of the veteran’s program (major) curriculum

Allowing Veterans to Attend or Participate in Courses Pending VA Payment


Section 103 of Public Law (PL) 115-407, ‘Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018,’ amends Title 38 US Code 3679 by adding a new subsection (e) that requires disapproval of courses of education, beginning August 1, 2019, at any educational institution that does not have a policy in place that will allow an individual to attend or participate in a course of education, pending VA payment, providing the individual submits a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under Chapter 31 or 33.

Pending Payment Compliance

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679(e), New Mexico State University adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from VA.  New Mexico State University will not:

  • Prevent the student’s enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to the student;
  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny the student access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Produce the VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) by the first day of class;
  • Provide a written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at