Academic Advising

Academic advisors help students establish academic and career goals, transition to college, interpret placement test scores, select and schedule classes, explore majors, develop a graduation plan and evaluate progress towards completion. Students are encouraged to meet with their advisor each semester.

Student Accessibility Services

Students Accessibility Services (SAS) coordinates university efforts to provide access and opportunity to students with disabilities, including students who have disabilities that are apparent and non-apparent. Students wanting to learn more about the services or accommodations available to those with a documented disability should contact the SAS Coordinator in Student Services, Room 111. Advanced notice in planning services is strongly encouraged. NMSU is committed to providing an accessible institution to all individuals.

Accommodations can be requested by completing these steps:

  1. Make an appointment with the SAS Coordinator to self-identify as a student with a disability.
  2. Submit a Petition for Accommodation and proper documentation to the SAS Coordinator.
  3. Finalize accommodations for the semester with the SAS Coordinator.
  4. Take faculty notification letters listing approved accommodations to each instructor and return to the SAS Coordinator within five working days.
  5. Submit a Petition for Continuation of Services each semester.

Grievance Procedure for Students with Disabilities

NMSU Carlsbad has adopted an internal grievance procedure providing for the prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging any action prohibited by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), which prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability.

Students are encouraged to attempt to resolve any problems or complaints they might have at the local college level first, when possible. Students should initially contact the NMSU Carlsbad Student Accessibility Services Coordinator at (575) 234-9321 in an effort to resolve problems related to the need for or provision of accommodations as well as those that are related to access needs or the equalization of learning opportunity. While students are encouraged to resolve concerns at the college level, any student may contact the EEO/ADA and Employee Relations Director at (575) 646-3333 or (575) 646-7802 (TDD) at New Mexico State University’s main campus at any time.

Informal Complaint Procedure

The student may choose to resolve the complaint on an informal basis (such may include mediation, a letter to the professor, a telephone call or some other resolution amenable to the student). A written confidential record of the final outcome or resolution will be retained with the Student Accessibility Services Coordinator.

Formal Grievance Procedures

If the student wishes to formalize a grievance, completion of the New Mexico State University, EEO Grievance Form is required by the EEO/ADA and Employee Relations Office (575) 646-3333 within ten (10) working days of the occurrence. (Note: The 10-day filing period may be extended by written request to the EEO/ADA and Employee Relations Office with consent of the student). In order to expedite the filing process, formal New Mexico State University, EEO Grievance Forms are available in the Student Accessibility Services, Room 111.

The foregoing procedures are implemented to:

  • Protect the substantive due process rights of students with disabilities, and
  • Assure that NMSU Carlsbad complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended.

For further information, contact the Student Accessibility Services Coordinator, the Vice President for Student Services or NMSU’s EEO/ADA and Employee Relations Director at NMSU Las Cruces.